Thursday, February 19, 2015

How to's on Kids and Chicken

Raising children has its challenges.

During a very frustrating day of dealing with my beautiful strong willed daughter; I remembered an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond."  In this particular episode Debra is having a very rough time with Ally their oldest.  Ally is having trouble listening and is becoming very stubborn.  So Ray and Debra take a parenting class. Debra finds it difficult to use the active listening technique they learned on Ally, but Ray is able and succeeds when he tries.   This has always been one of my favorite episodes, I can relate a lot to Debra. I sometimes feel like I am running a never ending race, running as hard and fast as I can. Jumping over every hurdle, then in swoops someone who seems to be able to run faster and harder than I and finishes first. 

It is at these times I have to stop and remember that everyones life comes with its own challenges. What seems difficult to me may seem easy to others and vice versa.  The Lord only gives us what we can handle and he promises to hold our hand along the path of our race. Running with us at times and at others carrying us over the more difficult hurdles. 

I have read several parenting books, how to's and instructional manuals. In the end I will only say I still have not found just one that helps, they all have had great ideas, some have worked some have not. I will say though I was given one book, one book that is helping me through the race. It was written, in my opinion, by the best poet, teacher and father every to walk the earth.  The BIBLE was and is Gods instructional manual on how to live our lives. It has taught me to be patient during the rough waters and has given me the strength to keep trying with my strong willed child. 

I highly encourage you all to do your own research on parenting books, or other how to's on what ever it is you might be going through; but if you get stuck turn to the one true manual, grab the Lord's hand and hold on tight this is going to be a long and bumpy road. I am so thankful I will have him to stand by my side along the way. 

I do not have all the instructions on how to be a great parent or how to to do it the best, I do however have instructions to a great Chicken recipe.  At the very least I hope you will find some peace while making this dish and maybe just maybe the children will be so full they will go to bed early.


Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
&
Parmesan crusted Zucchini 



Ingredients:

For Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken:

3 large skinless Chicken breasts
2 bushels of fresh Broccoli 
Salt
Pepper
4 Garlic cloves minced
1 cup Chicken broth
1/2 tsp Red Pepper flakes
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/3 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes packed in Olive Oil
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp of dried Basil
Hand full of fresh Basil julienned 
4 tbs of Olive Oil, 2 for chicken and 2 for sauce

For Parmesan Zucchini

4 Zucchini 
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tsp dried Basil
1tsp Salt
1 cup Panko Bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese


Instructions:

For Chicken:

Pre-heat oven 400  degrees

In a skillet on medium heat,  coat bottom of pan with Olive Oil. Season both sides of Chicken breasts with Salt and Pepper and brown both sides in skillet. 


Lay all three Chicken Breast in a shallow baking dish.


Cut up Broccoli in to smaller pieces and layer around Chicken in baking dish.


In a skillet over medium heat, coat bottom of pan with Olive Oil and add minced Garlic, Red Pepper flakes, dried Basil, Thyme and Sun-Dried Tomatoes.  Cook only until Garlic is tender you do not want to burn the Garlic.
Next add Chicken broth to deglaze the pan, be sure to scrape all the bits off bottom of pan this is where all your flavor is, bring to a simmer.
Next add Heavy cream and bring back to simmer.


As soon as the Heavy Cream comes back to simmer, remove from heat and pour over Chicken and Broccoli.

Place baking dish in oven for 45 min or until Chicken reaches 165 degrees.


Slice and serve with or with out fresh Basil over top.

For Zucchini:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

Cut Zucchini one inch finger length slices. Then layer them on a tin foil lined baking dish.


In small bowl combine 1/4 cup Olive Oil and dried Basil. Brush mixture on to Zucchini. Sprinkle with Salt.
Combine Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese in a bowl and then sprinkle over Zucchini.


Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 mins or until Zucchini is tender.

Serve along side your Chicken.


Enjoy!

Tips:

Prepare Chicken dish first and after you have place it in oven start to prepare Zucchini.  Place Zucchini on second rack in oven for last 20 mins of cooking time on Chicken, this way your entire meal is finished at the same time. 

When trying to break up whole Garlic I like to put Garlic in a plastic bag and smash with my fist, this separates Garlic in to cloves with out them flying all over kitchen. Plus you take frustration out on Garlic....lol






Even though I have had challenges with my daughter lately I can say being her mother comes with many rewards. She is one of my greatest accomplishments and I hope to make her proud to call me mom. 


















2 comments:

  1. great post ! And that looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It was a big hit here in the Self house. Plus my neighbors enjoyed it too.

      Delete